Sunday, October 7, 2007
We were up early that morning. It was a four day weekend and every day of it was spent with the Cross Country Team. Waking up at 5:30 that morning, I was expecting get really hot and sweaty, cheer for the runners, and have some fun with my friends. What I got that day was so much better.
We met at the Starbucks on Roosevelt and State and then we walked over to our volunteer position. Pretty soon we had taken off the orange windbreakers we’d been given and we were in our tank tops and shorts. We spent the morning playing cards and talking, taking silly pictures. When the first racers on wheels came by, it got exciting. But soon we were back to sitting on our little corner, playing cards, and waiting for the runners to come. And when they came, it was worth the wait.
We cheered for the runners, who by mile 22 were exhausted. As a Cross Country runner, I knew how much physical and mental pain they must be going through, but I could not imagine the extent of it. It was so hot outside, and there wasn’t enough water for all the runners. People who were willing to run 26 miles deserved to at least get enough water, but at this poorly planned marathon, this wasn’t happening.
The best was when people had their names on their clothes. “Go Meghan! Go Emma!” we’d shout as they passed by, and their grateful but drained faces looked up at us with weak grins. We were there to support all the runners, but one in particular. Our Cross Country coach was running and she’d been there for us through the whole season. Finally, we were there for her.
The new technology was valuable today. We were able to get text messages telling us when our coach passed certain points. We could tell her time, pace, and expected finish time as well, which was awesome. We waited a few hours and finally we knew she would be here soon. Standing at the side of the street, we looked for her. And then we made a decision. We were going to run with her. We were going to be right behind her.
I had extra clothes with me, and I changed into shorts and running shoes so I’d be prepared to go when she got there. We stood by the side of the road for about another half hour or so, and then we saw her and two of our teammates. “Go Yavello!” we shouted, and then I dragged two of my friends into the race with me and we followed our coach.
At this point some people were stopping to walk and it was difficult to get around them, but we kept going. I looked up at my coach in front of me and I could not even process how proud of her I was. She was dripping with sweat and water, she’d gotten sick twice during the race, and she was exhausted beyond any imagination, but as I looked at her, all I could think about was how lucky I was to have such a strong, beautiful, inspirational woman as my coach.
She’d been there with me through my two seasons on Cross Country, always helping me to get through the obstacles I’d been given, and now I had the chance to give something back to her. It was so emotional for me as I ran with her. I was so blessed to be running with her and to know her. That day changed me as a runner. I learned how strong someone can be when they are put up against a challenge. Even if you think you can’t do it, can’t make it, can’t finish, you can. When you have something to work for, you achieve more than you ever thought you could.
0 comments:
Post a Comment