
I should be sleeping, but I can't. I was laying in bed, all tired and ready to fall asleep. I'd just finished my prayers and was thinking about how happy I am and how I am very pleased with how everything is going in my life, when I remembered something I should have remembered eight hours ago. The man wanted broccoli. Today at the restaurant there was a man who ordered the Broiled Pork Chops Dinner. He got Chicken Dumpling soup and Thousand Island dressing on his salad. Even though milkshakes don't come as dessert for the dinner, he still got a chocolate one. He wanted mashed potatoes with gravy. The man was so cute. Well, not cute per say. But his mannerisms were so interesting. Whenever he ordered something, he would say it as if it had a question mark, as if he was looking for my approval, except that I knew he wasn't looking for my approval- he knew exactly what he wanted- but his tone of voice suggested that he wanted approval. He also got a cup of coffee. It comes with the dinner. We were very busy at this time. Toula was back helping us. She told me to ask the man if he wanted a vegetable. He wanted corn. I didn't think we had corn, but I asked. We didn't. Toula said we had mixed vegetables and broccoli. He asked me for broccoli, in his question mark way. I remember thinking that it was unusual because normally people just get mixed. So I went back to the cooks. And guess what I ordered? MIXED! I brought it out to him and he didn't say anything. I picked up his plates and the vegetables were uneaten, but he began eating them after I took the plates from his main course away. It never even clicked until a while ago when I was lying in bed. I started crying. I don't know why. I was so happy only moments earlier. I'm not made to be a waitress. I can only work with people for a certain amount of time. I communicate better through ink than through my mouth. To The Man Who Ordered Broccoli and I Gave Mixed Vegetables: I am extremely sorry. I apologize a thousand times.
xoxoGrace
Thursday, July 3, 2008
"I'd probably famous now if I wasn't such a good waitress." ~Jane Siberry
Posted by Hilary at Thursday, July 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment