CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 17, 2009

St. Valentine's Day

I'm going to be out of town on Valentine's Day. St. Valentine's Day.

It wouldn't matter to me, except that I'm not going to see my Valentine for only the 2nd time in the 19 Valentine's Days I have had in my life. February 14, 2008 will be 8 YEARS that my mom is cancer free! {& 8 is my family's lucky number because Mom, Tom, and I were born on the eighth of our respective months.}

It was the end of January. A Sunday after Church. Mom and Dad called Tom and me into the living room. I racked my brain for something that I had done that would have gotten me into trouble... I always do that when a serious conversation comes about. But I hadn't done anything wrong. My mom had cancer. Breast Cancer. I was in 4th grade. And by the time I was in fifth grade I knew more about chemo and radiation than any eleven year old should know. Now, I have stories to tell about my experiences that I will eventually expand on, but the one story I remember the most vividly is this:

My Uncle Dan was taking care of Tom, Chris, and me. Our relatives and friends all helped out whenever my parents needed it. It was June 8th, my mom's birthday [my half birthday as I continuously reminded my mom when I was little.] My mom was having a treatment of chemo. It was a Friday. My mom had her chemo on Thursdays as I recall, but this week it had to be changed. Tommy, Chris, and I were sitting outside of Stella's batting cages, licking our soft serve ice cream that the setting sun was quickly melting. My uncle Dan looked at the sun and said, "The sun always shines on your mom's birthday."

So on February 14, 2001 my mom was having surgery to remove the cancer. She left us notes and candy at our spots at the kitchen table. On February 14, 2009, I will be on Kairos and my mom will be at home. She will be 8 years of Cancer Free. She is my Valentine, now and forever. I love you, Mom.

0 comments: